Saturday, March 24, 2012

Tortilla Soup

     I know it is not exactly soup season but I have wanted to share this recipe for a while.  It is a huge hit at our house!  For a long time I was on the hunt for a good tortilla soup, something similar to the tortilla soup at Qdoba.  I absolutely love their soup!!!!  But it is pretty pricey for a tiny little bowl.  So I wanted to find out how I can make it myself.  I found this recipe in my Southern Living Cookbook.  They called it Green Chile Soup (doesn't taste anything like green chilies).  I made a few adjustments to their recipe and I call it Tortilla Soup.  It is a huge hit in our house.  My husband told me he wants me to make it every week! It is the closest I have come to the Qdoba soup.  It is so easy to make, really low fat, and delicious!


 Tortilla Soup recipe:

1 1/2 lbs cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts cut up/cubed  to your liking (you can use rotisserie   chicken as a short cut)
2-3 cans of green chilies, undrained
2 cans of pinto beans, undrained
1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained (I cut up larger chunks of tomatoes)
1/4- 1/2 onion diced
1 can chicken broth
1-2 cups of water ( I usually use only 1)
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1 clove garlic crushed/minced

Put all in a pot on the stove and cook until hot. 

Optional Toppings:  avocado, cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and sour cream
I only add avocado!  But for my kids, I add sour cream and a little cheese to tone down the spicy flavor. 

Hope you like it!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment